I am SO EXCITED to announce this photography course offering. It has been a dream of mine to offer such a course and I have been waiting to reach a point in my life where I feel fully confident in my experience and skills as a photographer to share my knowledge with others.
My career began as a teacher. After completing my Bachelor of Education degree at MUN, I moved on to teach elementary school and then to an adult setting over the course of 3 years, this was long before I discovered digital photography and my life set on a different path. However, I am so excited to explore the place where my love of teaching and passion for photography meet.
This course is designed to help anyone with a camera take better photos. To participate, it is useful to have a digital camera that allows manual settings and has a hot shoe. Ideally, this would be a dSLR camera.
Level 1: An Introduction to Photography
This introductory course explores everything from learning your equipment right up to getting creative exposures and post-processing using Adobe Lightroom. The goal of this class is to teach the photography basics, both from a technical and an artistic standpoint. You will gain a thorough understanding of how a camera works, avoid the most common mistakes, utilize creative composition, and learn efficient ways to store, organize and digitally enhance your images. By the end of this course, you will have the confidence properly use a digital camera to create better images.
Topics will be explored through classroom instruction, demonstration, image sharing and hands-on exercises in a studio setting. They will include:
- Getting familiar with the camera and its accessories, how to handle them, how they work
- ‘The Photographic Triangle’ of aperture, shutter and ISO: How to properly expose a photo
- Making it look pro: creating effects with your settings and lenses
- Lighting via natural and man made sources / light metering / white balance / how to modify your light source
- Composition basics
- Anatomy of an digital image – from pixels to prints, how to get the best quality output from your camera
- Basic image editing and an introduction to Adobe Lightroom
- Uploading, storing, preserving and organizing your digital images
- Exploring your creative potential – your way to WOW!
4 Tuesdays 6:30-9:30pm starting Feb. 16th, 2016
Classes will take place in my home studio on Gil Eannes Drive, St. John’s, NL.
Maximum of 12 participants
Investment: $150 +hst (Limited time, introductory price for the first presentation of course)